Top 10 - Books


We have done our best to make the Nugget an avid reader.  While I don't want to spoil the Nugget, he and Lil Sib will always have as many books as they want, and we try to make it to the library each week.  Some of my favorite memories are going to the local library with my dad on the weekends.  I remember going when I was very young and the biggest thrill was getting a stamp inked on my hand by the children's librarian.  And then when I was older, and my dad would roll his eyes because I'd be checking out about a dozen Babysitters Club books (Caldecott award-worthy, they are not, but I stand by my assertion that they did expand my vocabulary and so helped with the SAT).  Anyway, it was special "Daddy and me" time, something very precious for a child of a busy physician, and I always looked forward to those trips.  Thanks, Dad.

So without further, ado, here is the Nugget's list of favorite books.  HIS favorites, not necessarily mine.

10.  Goodnight, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
9.  Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw
8.  Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins (The monkeys are actually apes, and I find the second to the last page with the millions of drumming primates a little disturbing...are they going to war?  Daddy claims they are having a happy party, but I find the scene ominous.)
7.  Happy Baby Words by Roger Priddy
6.  Birthday Monsters by Sandra Boynton
5.  I'm a Manatee by John Lithgow (has an accompanying cd with a catchy song)
4.  But Not the Hippopotomus by Sandra Boynton
3.  Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
2.  Biscuit's Snowy Day by Alyssa Satin Capucilli (I admit to sitting on this book so he wouldn't be able to request it)
1.  The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood...I love that he loves this one most of all, because it was also my "baby" sister's favorite, and I still remember reading it to her over and over.  When the Nugget requests it, I always think of her.  

Comments

  1. Two of my faves from childhood (and they're already in the bookcase in the baby's room) are Tiki Tiki Tembo, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Love them! My granny used to read them to me, and everytime I think of them, I think of her. I also found a new one last night - over Missy's and read it to Joey - it's one of his favorites. It's called "Never Tease a Weasel". It's kind of funny, check it out!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts