Where is that swimsuit?

The homestudy visit went off without a hitch, and now we wait for the final paperwork to come in and for the local agency to write and approve our homestudy report.  The counselor thought she could have it finished by late February, so with any luck, we will be diving back into the waiting "pool" soon.

I like to take the opportunity, with each adoption update, to share a deep thought about adoption.  When I was little, it seemed very simple - I had a birthmom who couldn't take care of me but was willing to give me life and wonderful loving parents who raised me.  But as I grew (and still am), the billions of pieces that make up adoption become so much more complex, painful yet beautiful, and awe-inspiring.  So my deep thought for today (and some of you have heard me say this before)...as an adoptive parent, I feel a little bit like the recipient of an organ donation, and as a waiting parent, I feel like I'll be getting back on that list.  Like a patient waits for a new heart but doesn't wish anyone to die, I will wait to receive the most precious gift - a chance to be a Mommy to another child, but I do not wish anyone to have to plan an adoption for her child.  Yet, in our imperfect world, people die, and adoption plans must be made.  It's been a long road for me to come to terms with my gain being another's loss.  I've let go of the guilt because I know it would dim the joy I have about being the Nugget's Mommy.  He needs me to have that joy, and the best way I can think of to honor his birthfamily is to proudly, gratefully, and joyfully parent.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts