Nugget meets Cabbage

Over Labor Day weekend, we were fortunate to meet our new niece/cousin, Baby Cabbage. She is awfully sweet and adorable. My favorite thing about her is that she is noisy. She makes very satisfied smacking and gulping noises when she eats, and cooing sighs when she sleeps. Her hair feels like the downy feathers on a baby duck. She has wide brilliant blue eyes that she opens with Bambi-like alarm at an unfamiliar sound. My brother describes her fussing as "freaking out", but it's a fairly low-volume cry, at least what we heard over the weekend. She does look so angry when she cries. Her feet are so tiny that even the newborn shoes won't fit her at a month old, but we noted that her 3 month sleepers were looking snug. I am so in love with her, and it's clear that my brother and his wife are already amazing parents....calm, attentive, tired!

We were a little worried about how the Nugget would do sharing his Grammy and Grandpa with another child. He did great. Sure, there was some acting out and melting down, but all of it was projected through other things and not onto Baby Cabbage. With Cabbage, he was helpful and concerned. He wanted to feed her bottles and frequently checked in with her. "Baby Cabbage, I'm going to eat breakfast now, ok? Baby Cabbage, I'm going to bed, ok? I see you later, Baby Cabbage." I held her for hours at a time, and he didn't demand my lap nor throw a tantrum about the tiny lap usurper. He couldn't resist touching her hair, but stroked it very gently. Of course, all manner of adults and Grammy's special toy cache were present, so I know it will be different when Lil Sib arrives at our house! Still, I think it was a positive trial experience for all of us.

We'll get to see Baby Cabbage in October in her home state of CO and then again at Christmas. Sigh - I'd be game for daily doses of Cabbage.

Comments

Popular Posts