Where are all the hugging things?

We attended our library's Open Book Festival earlier this month. The Nugget enjoyed crafts, live music, storytellers, and most of all, the book characters. A couple weeks later, we hit the library for a playgroup, and the first words out of the Nugget's mouth are, "Where are all the hugging things?"

The Nugget is a very mechanical person. He loves to fix, to observe, to tinker. Now that he's so verbal, he'll often stare at something for awhile, then tell us how it works. For instance, the doll seat on his toy shopping cart from Grandma and Papa, "Mama, I pull this silver thing down, and the red thing comes up. See that? This part comes down, and this part goes up." I have a feeling he was dumbing it down for his mechanically-challenged mom. I'm telling you, I am learning more mechanics than ever before.

I don't think I use the word, "shall" very often, but the Nugget has picked it up, and he's very attached to it. Maybe from books? Anyway, it's pretty funny to hear such an old-fashioned word come out of a 3 year old boy. When Doggie snorted, he looked at me seriously for a moment, then said, "Doggie snorted, Mommy. Shall we laugh?" We decided that yes, a dog snort was worthy of a giggle, and we laughed together.



Comments

Popular Posts