3.5

The Stats:
46 pounds
3'7"
Size 5/6
Shoe size 29EU/12.5US

Top 10 Challenges of 3.5
10. According to the parenting books, a child's energy peaks at 3.5. Well, I sure hope they're right, because it's very hard to imagine you getting more energetic. You are like a whirling dervish, and we have to "run you" like a skittish Thoroughbred lest you destroy our furniture and our sanity.
9. There is an awful lot of foot-stomping when you don't get your way.
8. You are starting to say embarrassing stuff now. Like, "That lady has funny hair." Once, you pointed to a woman wearing a neck brace and repeatedly whimpered, "I want her to take that off." I tried explaining why it wasn't polite to stare and that she needed that to help her neck heal, but you only got more insistent.
7. You often refuse to talk on the phone, and the hopeful grandparent on the other end sometimes hears, "I don't WANT to talk right now." Of course, the second we hang up, you are begging for the phone or sneaking Daddy's cell out of his pocket.
6. You have perfected your stalling and bargaining tactics. When we say you need some Nugget time in your room, you immediately snap to attention. With puppy-dog eyes and batting lashes, you turn on the charm and say, "I'm making happy choices now, so I can stay downstairs." You also know that Daddy's the "nicer" parent and already asking him for favors when I've said no.
5. You take everything very literally and seriously. When I made you a card with hearts dropping from a cloud, you got very upset, because, "Hearts don't fall from the sky, Mommy. Only rain."
4. You know the anatomical differences between girls and boys. And like to discuss them in public. And like to ask people if they have a penis. Fun and embarrassment for all!
3. You refuse even things you want, just so you can say no and assert your will.
2. You've learned how to slam doors to get your point across.
1. You can move furniture. You moved your bed until we glued it down with 3M mounting squares, you frequently slide the table during dinner, sometimes I come out of the bathroom to see you rearranging the couches. Arrgh, how it pushes my buttons!

Top 10 things I love about 3.5
10. You give me "a hug and then a squeeze". You used to lean in passively and hug by offering your body to us. Now we get your sweet strong arms wrapped around us, and it feels like heaven.
9. You say, "I love....YOU!" With a finger point right to the chest. We say it to each other over and over until you collapse in fits of giggles. Best game ever.
8. You sing. All the time. Real songs, real lyrics. Sometimes mistaken lyrics which are even funnier than the real ones. Sometimes in a whisper, sometimes belted out like you're performing on Broadway and your mic's broken.
7. You pretend that you're not going to smile. But our Mr. Funny Business can only last about 5 seconds before your great cheesy grin busts through your faux stoicism.
6. You give your toys voices. Giraffe has a teeny high-pitched voice.
5. You exclaim over cute things the way I do. With the same pitch and tone. "Oh! It's chubby! It's little! Aww!"
4. When Daddy gets home, you eagerly charge him and ask, "Did you bring any stinky Daddy clothes?" And when Daddy pulls the plastic baggie full of sweaty gym wear out of his backpack, you jump up and down with glee and inhale. Then you always ask if I want to smell them too.
3. When I tell you what we're going to do in the mornings, you often grin and say, "I'm so excited to do that!" And you bounce and vibrate.
2. You take your "naps" downstairs now, on the loveseat. You read books, watch me work on a scrapbook or take phone calls, and play with quiet toys. You take your own bathroom breaks. It's such a peaceful time where we're together yet doing our own things, and it's so pleasant.
1. It was about this time last year that you were kicking babies and shoving your playmates just to see what would happen. Now, it's such a joy to watch you go up to a friend and ask if he wants to play. Or be ready with a "trade" for the toy you want. Often during a playdate I'll see you holding hands with a friend or giving a hug.

Comments

  1. I think that keeps us semi-sane with 3.5 years old is the fact that the things we love far outweigh the things that drive us crazy...
    And although I would love for the nugget and Noah to meet again, I am not sure that the nugget would even see my 30lbs, 3feet, pant size 2T kiddo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his creativity and sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts