"Friendship" Day




I alluded to the fact that the Nugget would be celebrating "Friendship Day" but not Valentine's Day at preschool. Well, it turns out that it's simply semantics, and late last week, we received an email requesting that children bring in "friendship cards" to exchange with the class and that parents could sign up to bring in paper goods or snacks. Ha!

So this weekend, the Nugget and I created some simple wax paper hearts. There are tutorials all over the web on how to do this, but basically you take a sheet of wax paper, sprinkle half of it with crayon shavings (simply sharpen dull crayons over the wax paper), fold it in half like a quesadilla, and iron it on medium heat between sheets of kraft paper. It felt like we had to cover the sheet in a monolayer of crayon shavings, but I'd recommend leaving blank spaces. As they melted, they spread a lot, and we had melty crayon leaking out of the wax paper. After it cooled, I cut them into hearts, hole punched them, and tied a ribbon to create an ornament. I realized later that the teachers requested that each "friendship card" be signed, so I then created makeshift envelopes for each heart out of construction paper. They are not precise,
just hand cut strips of paper, folded and glued. I made each to custom fit a matching heart, and since they ended up peeking out of the envelopes, the tagline was obvious.

The final photos (then we're done with V-Day for this year, I swear!) were of a craft I've been wanting to do forever! I can't remember where I saw it, maybe Martha Stewart from years ago...but I saved a jelly jar, set it inside a Dollar Tree glass vase, and filled the in-between space with sugar hearts. Today I went to the local flower shop to pick up some Gerbera daisies (check your Entertainment books/Value Checks, because florist coupons are often in the back), and finished it off with a tag for the Nugget's sitter. You could use the same concept with any small items, like colored beads (maybe in school colors for a sports banquet) or pebbles.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts