Imaginary Friend

I picked up a free local family magazine this evening, and the Nugget immediately begged to peruse it.  I skimmed it and handed it over.  He found pictures of dogs right away and announced, "Look at these cute doggies!  Aww!  I'm going to look at them a long time."
****************************
The Nugget and I were playing a game with his apple slices.  He'd hold them in his finger, then quickly chomp, and show me the smaller apple.  I'd pretend it was an amazing magic trick.  When they were all gone, I asked:
Me:  Where did all the apples go?
N:  They went to the party.  They're having cupcakes and taking off the frosting and putting it in their mouths.  Then they're making a face.  It's a happy smile.
****************************
We met friends for a trolley ride and lunch on campus this week.  The Nugget is smitten with most of my mom friends and pays them a good deal more attention than he does his peers.  He insisted on holding hands with Miss K all morning.  When I told him that he'd need to give Miss K a bye-bye hug in the parking lot so we could go to our cars, he hugged her and waved.  As we walked towards our cars, he shouted, "I miss you already!"
****************************
The Nugget introduced me to his first imaginary friend today.  He placed something invisible on the table and announced, "This is a little cake.  It has a penis.  That means it's a daddy.  It's a Little Daddy Cake (LDC).  It has a smile."  I laughed and welcomed the LDC to the breakfast table.  The Nugget offered him some cold cereal with milk and informed me that it was well received.

I figured it was just the usual bite-size figment of imagination the Nugget often has, but the LDC reappeared multiple times throughout the day, without prompting.  "Now, the LDC is riding in the car with us.  He is sitting on my lap.  The LDC wants the window down a little bit, please.  I'm going to hold onto him tight so he doesn't float out the window and up up up into the sky.  And now I'm going to put him on the floor."

At the grocery store:  "Now the LDC wants to ride in a car cart.  Oh, they are stuck...well, I will just carry him then.  No, he doesn't want to ride in a regular cart, he wants me to hold him."

On the way to the library:  "The LDC isn't riding with us now.  He is following us in his own special little car.  He knows how to drive.  He doesn't want to go into the library with us.  He's going to sit and wait in his car until we come back."

At dinner:
N:  The LDC brought us some O's, some squares, some Life cereal, and some Honey Bunches of Oats.  For all of us to share.
Me:  Thank you, LDC.
N:  He says, 'You're welcome.'  He says he'll try some macaroni now.  He's eating it.  He likes it.

I have a feeling the LDC is going to provide plenty of entertainment, for as long as he's with us.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, too funny!!! A little cake with a penis!!! How did you maintain composure when he said that?? What a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts