Reubens

I've had a longstanding prejudice against corned beef since childhood, but I made it last year as a St. Patrick's Day treat for Hubby...and I was hooked!  Obviously, it's too salty and fatty to enjoy all the time, but it's a nice treat.  I like it best in a Reuben, and I tried my hand at them tonight.  So good!

Reuben Sandwiches
1 pack of corned beef with seasonings, as much as you like/need
1/4c water
butter or margarine
rye bread
swiss cheese slices
sauerkraut
French dressing optional

Prep your corned beef by rubbing the seasonings on the fatty side.  Place in crockpot with 1/4c water.  Cook on low 5-8 hours.  Remove from crockpot, let cool for 5 minutes, then trim the fat and slice thinly against the grain.

Heat a skillet on medium.  Butter each slice of rye bread, as if you're making a grilled cheese.  Place the bread, buttered side down, in the skillet.  Top with swiss cheese and sauerkraut, then corned beef slices.  If you like, add the French dressing now too (I like it without).  Then top with another slice of bread.  When cheese melts, flip the sandwich carefully.  

Comments

Popular Posts