Party Prep

In lieu of a big birthday party, I told the Nugget that this year, he could invite a few friends to join us at  the local childrens' waterpark.  It's going to be a small, low-budget event, but I think that way, it will be mellow and fun.  I found a really cute Submarine invitation on Shutterfly, so I'm drawing the theme and colors (shades of blue, yellow, and orange) from the invite.  Creating children's favors might be my favorite thing to do.  Here's a sneak peek.


I copied the basic sub shape from the invitation by hand and cut it out of yellow cardstock.  I used a circle punch to make the window and hand cut a 4 from the scrap circle.  The 4 was glued onto a circle of blue cardstock, and the whole sub shape was glued onto a kraft gift bag.  Trying to decide if I should leave it as is for a clean mod look or embellish it with "rivets" of glitter glue or foil.


The manila tags, bags, and ribbon were leftovers from my basket biz.  I wanted to use a blue stamp pad for the sea star (Michael's dollar bin) rubber stamp, but my blue pad had dried out.  Instead of buying a new pad, I colored the stamp with a Crayola washable marker and it worked like a charm.  The double-faced satin anchor ribbon is by Midori.  They don't make it in this color combo anymore, but here's a similar ribbon.



I spotted the Magic Grow Capsules at our local grocery store and immediately knew I wanted to include them in the favor bags.  But the package was ugly and had way too many per child.  So I split them up and repackaged with into small cello bags.  I punched scalloped circles of orange cardstock and wrote instructions with the same Crayola marker.  I folded a piece of yellow cardstock to make a "hang tag" for each bag.  I don't like to use staples for little children, so I used a mini hole punch and aqua ribbon to secure the tag to the bag.


I cut strips of striped scrapbook paper, folded and notched them to make tiny banners.  I used a little Elmer's school glue to secure them around toothpicks, and voila, cheap cupcake toppers!  The Nugget has already put in an order for vanilla cupcakes.  I have some yellow cupcake papers and will sprinkle the frosting with orange sugar leftover from Halloween.

I'm really pleased about how everything is coming together and that I've been able to create pretty little things from supplies already in my stash.

Comments

Popular Posts