Incentive Program


We rolled out a new incentive program this week.  The Nugget gets to add one fish to the jar each time we catch him listening.  When it's full, he gets to have dinner out at the restaurant of his choice.  It is working so far.  Often, when I find he's getting out of hand, I realize we've been concentrating too hard on what he's doing wrong and ignoring what he's doing right.


This weekend, I heard a commercial about a classic car show just down the street.  Hubby and I are both planners, so we don't often make it to last-minute events.  But this time, I called Hubby the second after the radio commercial ended and asked if he could take the Nugget while I was grocery shopping. I met the boys after I tucked the groceries in the fridge and found them munching pizza.  The Nugget eagerly told me about fan belts and couldn't wait to point out his favorite car to me.  He wandered the lot slowly, with his hands on hips, thoughtfully assessing each car.  He waited in line for a balloon giraffe but decided at the last minute to get a ladybug that fit on his wrist, just like the girl in front of him.  He wore it gleefully and when we got home, he gave the ladybug a tour of the house, then held his hand up awkwardly so she could see the tv while he watched Mister Rogers.  Sometimes spontaneity has its rewards!

Comments

Popular Posts