Natural Bug Repellent Reviews - Group 2

As promised, I tried a couple more natural insect repellents on myself and the Nugget.  Go here for Group 1.  Here's our feedback.

California Baby - At a little over $13 for a bottle, this was the most expensive brand we sampled.  I had a heck of a time getting ahold of it, as it always seemed to be sold out through my favorite vendors.  Now that it's in-hand, it might be my favorite.  You shake the bottle, then it sprays gently into your hands.  The spray top has a twist lock, so you could lock it and feel comfortable with it being in your bag.  It feels like water, dries on the skin immediately, and smells very light.  I think its protection is comparable to the Burt's Bees - a bite or two per outing.

Badger Anti-Bug Balm - Out of all the brands we tested, this one was by far the most effective.  We didn't get a single bite when we wore this.  Per ounce, it might be the most expensive, but it's in a very different format so I'm not positive how long it will last vs. the others.  It is basically like a giant stick of lip balm - it's a waxy solid that you apply to your skin, then rub.  This makes it great for the Nugget's face, because it can't possibly drip into his eyes.  However, if you don't have it cranked up just right, the plastic edges of the tube rub your skin a little - no biggie for the adult, major drama for a preschooler.  The scent is different than the rest - more cedar than lemongrass/citronella.  I felt very confident about having this one in my bag, and it would be super for travel - no leaks possible.  Even on very hot days (I'm talking in the car during a heat advisory), the balm did not liquify.

Both Badger and California Baby make genius combo Sunscreen/Bug Repellent products...maybe we will test them next summer!

Comments

Popular Posts