The Ugly and the Beautiful

It's been an ugly-beautiful week.

The Ugly:
-Spork has been boycotting naps.  We still give him the allotted "quiet time" but it is not anywhere near the same as when he is truly sleeping.  Hence, not only naptime but the entire afternoon/evening is filled with a lot of whining-crying-screaming-tantruming-hitting-throwing.
-Tater is cutting another tooth, so while Spork has been trying during the day, she's been trying during the night.
-I've been throwing myself a really dumb pity party all week.  I realize it doesn't help anything, but I can't seem to help myself.  I feel really disappointed in my parenting skills, patience level, and the fact that we've been eating too much fast food since t-ball (and dinnertime games) have started.  But all parties must come to an end, and I am hereby willing myself to snap out of it in 3, 2, 1....

The Beautiful: you'd never know the ugly side of the week from the pictures we took.  While I was loading them, I realized how very much I have to be thankful for.  And the beauty of parenting is that each day is a fresh opportunity to try something new, to reach for something better, to be more present, and to set a better example.  Wish me luck and grace to start this week fresh.  (Also, some beer and ice cream won't hurt.)

 Beautiful: boys enjoying mechanized joy at the Farmer's Market Spring Festival.

Beautiful: A girl's first pony ride.  I so wish I could show you the smile that accompanied this first!

 Beautiful:  A peaceful Spork moment.



Beautiful: The gorgeous May weather and 3 healthy happy kiddos exploring the local parks.  It's a marvel how much they change from year to year and how much more they can do as the seasons pass.

Here's to beauty.  And here's to the ugly side, because without it, would we even notice the beauty?

Comments

Popular Posts