Luck o' the Irish

Part of my adopted heritage is Irish, and I really love celebrating St. Patrick's Day.  Because it fell on a Monday this year, we basically celebrated for 4 days.  

First off, a playdate for the Nugget's friends.  Thank Pinterest for printable treasure hunt clues.  The kids found a pot of gold (necklaces from the Dollar Spot and gold foil chocolate coins) hiding in the fridge.  Not many pics because I took a cute video - they really got into it because most of them are reading now!  They fought over who got to read the next clue.


 Another playdate activity - stringing rainbow (Froot Loop) necklaces.  Yes, they were all eaten moments after being created.

We put more green on for the parade downtown on Saturday.  We had to bundle in our winter coats, but everyone still enjoyed it, even after the requisite mama meltdown of trying to get everyone into the car in a timely fashion.  (Seriously, I wonder if I can get an inhaler of aerosolized low-dose Valium, because nothing puts me over the edge like trying to herd my darling trio and their 50 pounds of  accoutrements into the car.  I need to tattoo, "I will not stress over my first world problems" on the back of my hand.)  Anyway, Spork loved the parade so much that he whined, "Come back!  BAAAACCCK!" after each set of performers passed by our spot, and he had a raging fit when we loaded back into the car, so you know it was a good time!  Tater was very amazed by all the doggies in costume, and the Nugget was thrilled by big kids doing "bike tricks" plus the fact that he received 2 seed packets for our garden.  Oh, and unfair parade distribution of goods to siblings?  Better believe I'll come armed with spare lollipops in my bag next time, oy!

**************************
And I also need to work on my recipe log a bit more.  Here's our typical St. Patrick's Day meal.

Easy Corned Beef
Corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
1/4c water
Place brisket in crockpot and rub the seasoning on top.  Add water to the bottom, being careful not to wash off the seasoning.  Cook on low all day.
Use the leftovers with in grilled swiss cheese sandwiches or make real deal Reubens by adding sauerkraut, rye, and Thousand Island.

Cabbage
1/2 onion, chopped
2T garlic, minced
2 apples, chopped
1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
3 T butter
Melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Add the onion and cook about 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cabbage, stir for about 5 minutes or until cabbage softens a bit but is still crunchy.  Add the apples, and season with salt and pepper.  If you have bacon in the fridge, a crumble on top doesn't hurt!

Mint Brownies
brownie mix
1/2t peppermint extract
Another easy brownie upgrade!  I've been trying to play around with mint brownies for awhile, and 1/2t was just the right amount of extract to add to the batter.  Bake as directed.  I used this frosting recipe, and could have halved it.

Comments

Popular Posts