What to read to your 3 year old

Gotta make things fair, even if reading board books over and over is perhaps slightly less exciting than introducing a child to the world of chapter books!  Here are some wonderful books that Tater and Spork would like to endorse and are not painful for the adults to read.

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear and The Napping House by Don and Audrey Wood.  The illustrations are gorgeous and full of humor.  The Nugget still giggles and appreciates these stories.

Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola.  A wordless book, which is wonderful for the imagination.  This was the first book that the Nugget felt comfortable reading out loud to his little sibs.

Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg.  My co-teacher introduced me to this gem.  It features all sorts of fun flaps and textures, but best of all, celebrates the creativity in imperfections.  If I had a time machine, I'd go back and read this to my perfectionist 6 year old self to chill her out a bit.

The Toolbox by Anne Rockwell.  Simple yet incredibly fascinating.

Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  Tater demands humor in her reading materials, and this one has it in spades.  A pea who doesn't like to eat candy?!

Llama Llama series by Anna Dewdney.  We first bought a Llama Llama book at an independent bookstore before Dewdney hit it big and were enchanted.  I find the shorty board books nothing special, but the big books are pure magic.  Dewdney illustrates in oil paintings; so much love is on each page!

Charlie the Ranch Dog series by Ree Drummond.  I am a big Pioneer Woman fan, and I was kind of worried that I wouldn't love her children's books featuring her basset hound.  I needn't have worried, they are perfect!  Plus, I get to use a Southern drawl for Charlie's voice, so double bonus.

A Good Day by Kevin Henkes.  Perspective for preschoolers.

Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle. A rollicking rhythm means that Daddy suggests this book often.

Happy reading!







Comments

Popular Posts