Sensory Fun

Holy backlogged blog posts, Batman!  I thought I'd have all summer to give this blog a little CPR, but I frittered the summer away at the pool.  Sorry, not sorry.  Without further ado, a very belated post about After School Arts!
*********************************************************************************

I decided to use my passion for all things sensory to create a unique After-School Arts class:  Sensory Fun.  I wasn't sure if this was going to pass muster with the school, but lo and behold, it got approved!

I started the session with having the children create their own rules for the class.  The last two rules were mine.  We talked about the different senses, and the children were able to name most of them; impressive for K-2!


Then, I sprayed the room with lavender essential oil mist and turned on classical music.  I think these elements really helped the children relax and go deeper into their work.

Day 1:
We made basic play dough.  At home and school, I always use this recipe, doubled.  We make this recipe every month at preschool, so I have it dedicated to memory.  I had the children read the recipe and go around the table, measuring and adding ingredients.  Then they took a turn to stir it up while I boiled the water in a hot pot.  I did the final mix, then divvied up the dough.  Each child selected an essential oil (I did check our allergy list first) and a few drops of food coloring.  I set out play dough tools and toothpicks and just allowed them to experience the joy of warm play dough.  While they did that, I whipped up a batch of cinnamon play dough for them to take home.  We bagged up both kinds in separate Ziploc bags for them.



We also got to make slime.  We started with clear glue, added liquid starch, food colors, and glitter.


Day 2:

We did spice painting!  First, we passed the spices around and smelled them.  Next, we decided which spice should go with which paint color and mixed them up.  Finally we painted with them!


Next, we did homemade silly putty with cornstarch and dish soap.  I sent home the slime and silly putty in these small plastic containers - it's easier to get the stickier stuff out of the tubs than a Ziploc bag.  Finally, we did some free time play with shaving cream straight on the tables.  Shaving cream is very easy to clean up - simply rub it into the table until it dissolves then disappears - no water, soap, or spray necessary.


Day 3:

Cornstarch + shaving cream = cloud dough.  This dough is a love it or hate it proposition - it is puffy, squishy, and irresistible to sensory seekers but basically a nightmare for tactile avoiders.  I brought spoons so children could mix and explore it at varying comfort levels.


Salt painting!  First, we squeezed liquid glue onto card stock, then sprinkled salt and tilted the paper on an old baking sheet to completely coat the glue and remove the excess.  We set them out to dry for a week.



Day 4:

We finished the salt paintings by adding watercolors.  I tell the artists to get the brush wet with paint and lightly touch it to the dried salt like a magic wand.  This prevents them from scraping the salt away with vigorous brush action.


We did water bead stress balls, of which I caught no photos because it required too much adult assistance.  Lesson learned.  However, the children enjoyed popping water beads into an empty water bottle, choosing a balloon, and squeezing the water beads inside.  For the gentle-handed, the balls will stay intact inside the stress ball, lending it a unique texture.  For those who are under more stress, the water beads will pop inside the balloon, giving it a gel consistency.

Next, children drew patterns with Sharpies on cardboard circles.  I went over the designs with hot glue, then quickly covered the rounds with aluminum foil.  The children used colorful Sharpies on the foil, feeling the ridges of their design in relief.



Lastly, we worked on mini zen gardens.  Artists chose sand for a thick plastic plate, added glass gems and natural stones, swirled and drew with toothpicks, then we bagged them all up to reassemble at home.


Comments

Popular Posts