Spork's Octonauts Party

Spork was leaning towards a birthday trip but about a month before his birthday, abruptly changed his mind and decided he'd rather celebrate with a party.  We went with an Octonauts theme since the Octopod was at the top of his birthday wishlist (and thanks to Toys R Us closing, actually in our budget).  I've been pinning Octonauts party ideas for years, and was so thrilled to make this party come to life.  I ordered a super cute Octonauts invitation through Easy, but met copyright issues at the printers's, so we went with this one through Paperless Post.  I love a paper invitation, but things to be said for going digital; I collected RSVP's way faster, and the automatic reminders were helpful!


Applesauce cup kelp cakes

The jellyfish were my favorite decorations from this party, and I can't throw them out.  Anyone need a jellyfish?  I cut off the bottoms of Dollar Tree paper lanterns, hot glued thin organza ribbons (cheap multipack from Tuesday Morning) to the inner cut edge. Like any preschool teacher, I keep a stash of recycled colored tissue and found coordinating colors to glue around the inner metal frame.  I hung them with fishing line and painter's tape.

Paper cup anemones.  Look, I made some "meh-nemones" too, haha!

Pepper, olive, and hummus octopus.  Let it be said the children would not touch this!

The crabby sammies were Costco croissants, lunch meat, and cheese.  I set tomato slices, lettuce, and condiments on the side so they wouldn't get soggy.  The eyes are googly eyes hot glued to toothpicks.

 Crepe paper leftover from last year's baby shower became sea weed for the walls.  The kids actually helped me with this project!

Is it odd that I thought of this as a Montessori transfer work?  I wanted to get a real fish bowl but their openings were too small to get the net (don't worry, it's a fresh one!) through the top.  I settled on a clear plastic wide mouthed bowl from Dollar Tree.  DT also had the fishing net decoration with their hula party stuff.


For the Gup-C, I cut a cantaloupe in half and hollowed it.  I attached a quarter of the shell back on with toothpicks.  I took another toothpick and hot glued cut yellow foam pieces on it to make the propellor.  The periscope is a bendy straw leftover from another project, and yes, I do have straw guilt about it.  But I've been religiously using my stainless steel straws for everyday, so I hope it offsets things!


 I offered shell painting, the stress balls (clearly I had blocked out the chaos of the stress ball making from my ASA class; is it ironic that making stress balls stressed me out?!), and face paints as activities.  I set out all the Octonauts books and toys, and those were probably the most fun for the kids anyway.  Dollar Tree came through again with ocean themed plastic trays that we used to contain the activities.







The Nugget prefers to be a helper rather than a participant at his sibling's parties now, so we brainstormed ways he could help.  He decide he wanted to dress as Tunip, so he wore blue shorts, a yellow printed t-shirt turned inside out, and he hot glued green leaves on a headband.  I painted his nose on request too!  We decided he could make mocktails, so we went shopping for different juices and garnishes.  I gave him an ice bucket, tongs, paper straws, fancy glasses, a jar of strawberry puree, paper umbrellas, a tray of garnish, and he had the time of his life.  He gave each party guest 2 paper tickets upon entry, so we wouldn't over-sugar the children.  We are lucky to have friends who are sibling friends, so a big sister was invited alongside her little sibs so the Nugget could have a co-bartender.  

The other thing that Tunip did for us was serve as a water balloon target.  After much work getting the kids to change and assemble, I made an announcement that Tunip was dirty and needed a bath, but he won't get in the bathtub, so we can wash him with water balloons!  Tunip did a great waddle-run, squealed in Vegemalese, and several times laid down to let the slower runners pummel him with water balloons.  I highly recommend a target if you're going to be doing water balloons with a mix of children who like to get hit and those who don't - it takes the terrifying dodgeball aspect out of the activity so everyone can feel ok about participating.





I forgot to take photos of the favors (!), but I used these gable boxes and drew Peso's medical badge on them with Sharpie.  I packed them with a rolled gauze bandage and bandaids, plus a sea urchin, a party blower, and a treat bag of gold and silver foil wrapped candies (Rolo's, chocolate coins, and Mint Patties) with a paper topper that said "Kwazii's Pirate Treasure").  

A couple weeks later, we reused our party supplies for a second round party for Spork's birth family, with a slightly different menu.



 I bought this paper streamer years ago in the Dollar Spot and have been hoarding it since it's in Octonauts colors.




Comments

Popular Posts